Congratulations Students!  You have accepted your college admission offer and have confirmed your upcoming enrollment.  Congratulations Parents! Your son or daughter is going to be a college student.

With your college selected, admissions offer accepted, and your confirmation of enrollment submitted you probably said to yourself,  “Wow, that was easy!”  However, you have only just begun the enrollment process.  There are other processes that you should be undertaking while you are waiting for the Fall semester to begin.

Student Sign Onto Student Portal – Colleges typically provide accepted students with access to the campus student portal.   Your student will now have access to his/her records.  College students in the eyes of higher education, are responsible for their records and expected to carry out the tasks that lie ahead.  They now have FERPA rights (Family Educational Rights Privacy Act).  They no longer have to share their information with parents or anyone else if they wish not to.

The student portal helps to keep student information in the hands of the student.  What is typically found on the portal?  In addition to campus emails, the student will have access to detailed information such as; forms that need to be completed such as housing preferences, questionnaires, medical forms, notifications from offices, and grades.

Check Campus Emails Frequently – College correspondences will be emailed to your student’s college email account.  Although your student is excited about starting college, they may not be that excited to sign onto the portal and check their emails.

I encourage parents to have a conversation with their student to consider allowing the parent access to their portal and email account.

Gather Immunization Records

NYS Public Health Law Section 2165 and NYCRR Title 10, Subpart 66-2 require students attending post-secondary institutions, who were born after January 1, 1957, and registered for 6 or more credit hours, to demonstrate proof of immunity against measles, mumps, and rubella.  There are provisions for medical and religious exemptions under Public Health Law Section 2165.

NYS Public Health Law Section 2167 requires post-secondary institutions to distribute written information about meningococcal meningitis and meningococcal immunization to each student who is enrolled for at least 6 credit hours. This notification requires that each student must certify that they have already received their immunization, or that they have received and reviewed the information provided by the institution, understand the risks of meningococcal meningitis and the benefits of immunization, and have decided not to obtain the meningococcal vaccine.

Many campus request proof of meningococcal meningitis vaccination for their students and especially those who will be residing in campus housing. If your student will be attending college out of state be sure to check immunization requirements with the college.

Attend New Student Orientation 

At orientation, you will be introduced to members of the campus community, as well as other students who just like you are excited about starting college in the Fall.  There will be presentations, meetings with representatives from various campus offices, such as Financial Aid, Student Support Services, and Athletics.  You may also find yourself setting up your first-semester schedule and registering for your courses.

Connecting with Campus Offices

The Financial Aid Office is probably the most popular office prior to the start of the semester.  If you have not completed your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) you will want to get it done.  Once you have filed your FAFSA application and because you have indicated your college on the form, the college will receive the information they need to assist them in the review and preparation of your financial aid package.  If you are a New York State resident you should also plan to complete the TAP (NYS Tuition Assistance Program) application. This too is needed to assist with financial aid packaging.  As with the FAFSA, your TAP information will be forwarded to the college.  You may also want to apply for the NYS Excelsior Scholarship.

Not everyone who applies for federal and state aid is deemed eligible. Don’t make the decision that you will not be eligible for financial aid.  Complete the required necessary financial aid forms and paperwork. It’s important to work with the Financial Aid Office to find out what financial aid you may or may not be eligible for.  In cases which you are only eligible for loans, you will want to find out what loans to consider and what’s necessary to apply for them.

Student Support Services for Students with Learning Disabilities – Maybe your student has a documented learning disability, or had a 504 in high school and could possibly use the support and services of this office.  This office works to assist students with receiving necessary and reasonable accommodations.  Just like the process of applying for financial aid, there will be documentation to gather and information to provide.  Connect with this office to find out what will be necessary for you to provide before the start of the school year.  You may also want to introduce your student to members of this office so that they will know where to go and who they will speak to while attending college.

Housing – If your student plans to live on campus, you will surely be connecting with this office.  There will be questionnaires for your student to complete, housing preferences, meal plan selections, as well as policies and procedures.   Your student may also be itchy to start shopping for items to decorate his/her room. However, I recommend that you read the housing handbook to find out what is acceptable and what is not.

Campus Security/Safety -Depending on the school, the name of the office responsible for collecting the necessary documents and fees for a parking permit varies. If your college allows new students to have cars on campus and your student will be taking a car with them, you will want to find out the fee will be required and what documents will be needed in order for your student to get a parking permit.

Watch for deadlines and due dates.  You don’t want your student to miss out on something because a deadline sneaked up on you.  I encourage my clients to take care of what is needed to be done before a due date. There is nothing wrong with taking care of things in advance.  By taking care of business in advance, should you find yourself experiencing frustration or difficulty in getting through a process, you now have some time to seek guidance in completing the task.

Take Time for Family 

Before you know it, the end of summer will be here and your student will be heading off to school.  Spend time with family and friends, create memories, and enjoy time together.

Best of Luck 

Susan Weatherly

Steps To College provides guidance and information to parents and students in navigating the college search process.  The college search is not just about finding the right college for your student.  It is also about the steps or processes that happen before and after you’ve made your decision on what college(s) you plan to apply to and which college you decide to enroll in. 







Susan Weatherly

About Susan Weatherly